Main responsibilities of the Proposal Writer are to support HCN’s Business Development Team in coordinating all phases of the company’s proposals with proposal writing, editing, formatting, designing, etc. in response to Requests For Proposal (RFP), Requests For Information (RFI), and B2B proposals needed by fellow Business Development Team members. Target audiences include various federal agencies, nonprofits, corporations and their corporate social responsibility programs, and philanthropies.
● Report to and work in close collaboration with HCN’s executive leadership, Business Development Team Members, Clients Services, and similar staff to coordinate and produce proposals.
● Manage all aspects of proposal development from receipt of RFP through delivery.
● Manage proposal schedule, proposal bid log and opportunity tracking.
● Analyze technical requirements of Requests for Proposals (RFPs), Requests for Quotes (RFQs), Requests for Information (RFIs), Sources Sought Notices (SSNs), White Papers and other client solicitations as well as unsolicited opportunities.
● Collaborate with capture, operations, and management teams to develop proposal strategies, solutions, and themes that support the overall business objectives of HCN.
● Provide clear, detailed guidance to research professionals in order to obtain targeted and compelling data in support of proposals.
● Collaborate with and interview Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to develop well-formulated and convincing proposal content.
● Develop proposal elements such as outlines, templates, compliance matrices and proposal schedules.
● Fully write compelling, creative, and compliant proposal responses including technical narrative/scope of work, pricing, management/staffing, past performance volumes, etc.
● Review, revise and edit proposals and other written materials with careful attention to grammar, formatting, and design to maximize appeal with decision-making reviewers.
● Maintain proposal/past performance library, including case studies following completion of each client project, in collaboration with the Client Services team.
● Proofreading and one-voice editing of all proposal content for compliance, clarity, proper grammar, spelling and style
● Adhere to the proposal management schedules of prime contractors when HCN is subcontracting.
● Manage writing assignments and receipt of all proposal materials with internal authors and team partners in accordance with the project timeline.
● Coordinate and lead major project meeting events (e.g. Kick-off Meetings, Price Strategy Meetings, Pink, Red, and Gold Team reviews, etc.), including arranging meetings, communicating with participants and preparing materials such as agenda, outline, compliance matrix, proposal template and proposal schedule.
● Communicate proposal status and requirements with senior management and other stakeholders.
● Monitor and remain current on all amendments and modifications to solicitations.
● Diligently use CRM platform to capture and share all customer relationship data and lead management activities.
● Capture competitor insights through FOIA or other public information requests.
● Manage Competitor Analysis of pricing, win themes and differentiator data. Provide data to teams during appropriate phases of proposal development and review.
● Support, communicate, reinforce and defend the mission, values and culture of the organization.
Required Skills and Experience
Minimum Qualifications: 1 year of full-time experience in proposal management in response to federal RFPs; or 3 years grant writing experience.
● Ability to meet deadlines and manage competing deadlines.
● A commitment to teamwork coupled with the ability to work independently.
● Detailed follow-through with impeccable writing and eye for design.
● Ability to understand and lead pricing efforts.
● Experience independently defining, scheduling, and managing the proposal preparation process throughout the full proposal lifecycle; must be able to understand and analyze the details of an RFP.
● Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral).
● Exceptional facilitation and organization skills.
● Ability to create strong visual appeal through desktop publishing by emphasizing tables, graphs, images, pie charts, callout boxes, covers, tabs, header/footer, etc.
● Proficient in Word, PowerPoint and Excel, as well as integrate or use design programs.
● Experienced with GovWin, GovTribe, eBuy, SAM.gov and/or Grants.gov.