Who we are:
Northstar Financial Consulting Group is a premier accounting and finance firm that acts as a virtual financial department to cannabis companies across the vertical, providing bookkeeping, accounting, controllership, and CFO services.
If you are an experienced and forward thinking Controller with the ability to market your services and help grow our client base - we want you!
The Controller will assist our clients and CFOs in devising a company strategy, develop financial goals, reporting as well as develop tools and systems to provide critical financial/operational information to the CEO.
As the Controller you’ll be responsible for leading the activities of the Accountants and Bookkeepers to handle all transactional accounting. We are looking for a stellar Controller who wants to support our clients while building strong client and team relationships. If you are ready to work with a consistently growing, premier accounting and finance brand in the Cannabis industry - this opportunity is for you!
- Manage financial transactions and oversee posting procedures
- Work directly with the executives of the clients to improve the performance of their companies, with emphasis on increased profitability, lower operating costs and better cash flow management
- Design and redesign the work your team produces to optimize it for our remote system
- Organize and implement accounts receivable/payable and payroll procedures
- Oversee the correctness of transaction records including the general ledger
- Maintains subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating and posting transactions
- Lead month-end and year-end close process
- Lead and coordinate in tax and book audits
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results
- Process tax forms as needed
- Create/manage reports and financial statements
- Ensure compliance with GAAP principles
- 7+ years’ experience in a progressive accounting role
- Deep understanding of US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Deep understanding of accounting
- Excellent knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting practices
- Worked in audits as a client or auditor
- Great oratory and negotiation skills
- Flexibility with working hours, this position will require meetings with clients in PST, CST and EST time zones from time to time
- Fluent English written and spoken
- Advanced Excel skills
- Experience in the agriculture industry (crop farming > manufacture > retail)
- Experience with ERP and CRM systems (SAP, SAP B1, Etc.)
- Experience in a controller position
- Specific knowledge of US GAAP
- Knowledge of US tax regulations
- Experience working in audits with a Big 4 accounting firm
- Experience coaching start ups
- CPA qualification
Type of work: Long term contract, full time.
Schedule: Monday through Friday